Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

Author: admin

Economy of Mandi Bahauddin

Shahtaj Sugar Mills is located about 2 km west of the city. It stretches on an area of more than 20 acres (0.081 km) and has its sub-offices in Lahore and Karachi. Shahtaj Sugar Mills is one of the largest sugar plants in the country. The other major private sector factory in Mandi Bahauddin is Colony Sugar Mills (Formerly Phalia Sugar Mills), situated southeast of Phalia city. Mandi Bahauddin has a textile mills named “Acro Textile Mills” which is situated near Kuthyala Sheikhan. The other industry of District Mandi Bahauddin includes assorted Kino Polishing Industry, Flour Grinding & Storing Mills,
Rice Mills etc.
Bab-ul-Ilm Research Foundation, abbreviated as BIRF, is a Pakistan-based international educational, research and interfaith harmony-building organization. BIRF has its headquarters at Mandi Bahauddin. BIRF was founded by the young Pakistani writer and emerging scholar of comparative religions Syed Muhammad Waqas in 2009. Mandi Bahauddin is his hometown. The idea of founding Bab-ul-Ilm Research Foundation Network was conceived in 2008 when he was serving as “Lecturer of Indian Studies” in Kosovo. Since its creation, BIRF has embarked upon a number of educational, humanitarian and research projects. BIRF published its magnum opus What Quran Says: A Modern Reconstruction in 2009, which is written by Syed Muhammad Waqas. Moreover, BBC Urdu national bestseller (2010) was the book 21 December 2012: Kaa’inat Qiyaamat Ki Dehleez Par? written by BIRF General Secretary Sahibzada Abdur Rasheed and published in January 2010.

Recent research work published at WORDLDCOMP – The 2011 Word Congress in Computer Science, Computer Engineering and Applied Computing Las Vegas, Nevada, USA under the title Formal Modeling of Navigation System of Autonomous Mobile Robots Using Graphs, Automata and Z which is written by Javed Iqbal. He Also presented the presentation at 10th international Pure Mathematics Conference 2009, under the title Navigation of Mobile Robot Population Using Automata Integrated with Formal Methods.

Recently research work accepted in 12th international pure mathematical conference (QAU Islamabad) and also presented by young Ph.D. scholar Mr. Naeem Saleem. The topic of the his research paper was On the critical group of the family of C_m V P_2, in his paper he

neralized the noddle curves and also find a way of critical group associated with graphs.
Other Mandi Bahauddin-based organizations of note include Farabi Foundation (FF), Daa’im Iqbal Academy, Lasani Educational Society and Sarbuland Society of Pakistan. Sarbuland Society of Pakistan boasts a nationwide network of free medical services (Homeopathy) with its headquarter at Khursheed Memorial Homeopathic Medical College at King Road, Mandi Bahauddin

Climate in Mandi Bahauddin

This district has a moderate climate, hot in summer and cold in winter. During the peak of summer, the temperature may rise to 45 °C during the day, but in the winter months the minimum temperature may fall below 2 °C. The average rainfall in the district is 50 mm

Location of Mandi Bahauddin

Mandi Bahauddin city is situated some 50 km from the M2 – Motorway of Pakistan. The city enjoys all four seasons although the climate is very hot in summer and cold in winter. During the months of June and July, the day temperature mounts up to 45 degree Celsius. The winter months are, however, relatively pleasant and the temperature rarely falls below 5 degree Celsius. The average rainfall in the district is 700 mm

About Mandi Bahauddin

Mandi Bahauddin abbreviated as M.B.DIN is the capital of Mandi Bahauddin District in the Punjab province of Pakistan. The town is some 220 metres above the sea level and is situated in upper Punjab, between the rivers Jhelum (north 12 km) and Chenab (south 39 km). Mandi Bahauddin city is situated some 50 km from the M2 – Motorway of Pakistan. The city enjoys all four seasons although the climate is very hot in summer and cold in winter. During the months of June and July, the day temperature mounts up to 45 degree Celsius
The winter months are, however, relatively pleasant and the temperature rarely falls below 5 degree Celsius. The average rainfall in the district is 700 mm. Main localities (Mohallah) of the city are Mohallah Kot Ahmad Shah, Munshi Mohallah, School Mohallah, Gurah Mohallah, Mughalpura, Malikabad, Sufipura, Shafqatabad, Wapda Town and Ward No. 5 (Panch Ward). It contain a population of 427000

History of Mandi Bahauddin

In 1506 C.E. Chief Bahauddin, Sufi Sahib, established a settlement namely Pindi Bahauddin in the north-eastern corner of the region known as “Gondal Bar”, after his immigration from Pindi Shah Jahanian to this area. The settlement soon became a center of intense commercial activity, hence named afterwards by the merchants as “Mandi Bahauddin”, the Market of Bahauddin. The Urdu word “Mandi” implies “marketplace”. The proto-city was later on fortified with 9 main doorways to guard against foreign invasions. The wall intact today was completed in 1946.
However, the
recorded history of Mandi Bahauddin goes back to the era before Christ, connecting the region with the historic figure of Alexander the Great. Some 8 km northwest of the modern-day Mandi Bahauddin town, near the plain of village Khiwa on the southern bank of Jhelum River (Greek Hydaspes), the battle Battle of the Hydaspes River was fought between Raja Porus (Sanskrit Paurava) and Alexander. This historic battle of Hydaspes River, which Indian sources refer to as the “Battle of Jhelum”, took place in 326 BCE. The kingdom of Raja Porus was situated in the northern Punjab of modern Pakistan. This battle proved the last major fight of Alexander’s career, for the Macedonians, after being put up a fierce resistance by Porus’ soldiery and having heard of a massive 4,000 elephant force mustered by eastern kingdoms, refused to march further east i.e. Ganges Plains.
After the battle, Alexander laid down the foundations of three cities in the modern-day Mandi Bahauddin district: “Nicaea” (Victory), near modern-day Mong, “Bucephalus”, after his horse’s name at the site of modern-day Phalia, and “Helena”, after the famous Greek legend of Helen of Troy. Further south in what is today Wazirabad, the cutlery industry has its unique honour to have sharpened and prepared the swords of this great invader.

In 997 CE, Sultan Mahmud Ghaznavi, took over the Ghaznavid dynasty empire established by his father, Sultan Sebuktegin, In 1005 he conquered the Shahis in Kabul in 1005, and followed it by the conquests of Punjab region. The Delhi Sultanate and later Mughal Empire ruled the region. The Punjab region became predominantly Muslim due to missionary Sufi saints whose dargahs dot the landscape of Punjab region.

Another historic battle of Mandi Bahauddin was fought in 1739–40 near the modern traffic site of “Satt Sira”. Although
no concrete historical record is available for the Battle of Satt Sira, this battle has come down in oral traditions as a legendary tale of valor and bravery. Reportedly, the Alliance of the 3-Sohawa villages (Sohawa Dillo Ana, Sohawa Bolani, Sohawa Jamlani) put up fierce resistance to one of the main contingents of Persian Army led by Nader Shah. Nader Shah was not present in person with the contingent, which had stationed near Satt Sira. The Sohawa Alliance, under the generalship of legendary figure Dillo khan gondal, managed to defeat and divert the pressure of Nader Shah’s formidable force, which soon afterwards sacked Delhi. On this redemption, some anonymous local Marasi poet of the day spoke up:
The combat between Dillo and the victor of Delhi (took place),

The one from the lineage of Lion (Dillo) came out victorious.

Mandi Bahauddin came under British rule in the nineteenth century. The city is only 34 km southwest of Chillianwala, the site of the famous Battle of Chillianwala/The Second Sikh War, fought between the British East India Company and the Khalsa Sikh Army. The British commander in the battle was General Sir Hugh Gough, who was later on replaced with General Charles James Napier. The city fell to the British in 1849 as the Sikhs were defeated in this decisive combat and the whole Sikh kingdom, consisting of modern Punjab and Khyber Pakhtoonkha provinces, was annexed to the British East India Company same year.

The population grew considerably in the early 20th century near the old village site [Chak No. 51], where Sikh, Hindu and Muslim businessmen and landowners came to settle. The town was named Mandi Bahauddin after the establishment of a grain market in the area (Mandi means “market” in Urdu). During the British rule, in 1916, the Pindi Bahauddin Railway station was built to connect the town with other major cities via Lala Musa Railway Junction. It was a time when the British
re building railway tracks across the Subcontinent and introducing modern and essential public-use equipments in their best interest. The Railway System was introduced and laid down to defend their Empire from the North. Partly due to the reason quoted above and partly due to its geographical position, it was called North-Western Railway (NWR).
Chak Bandi was founded by Sir Malcum Heley and approximately 51 Chaks were settled and notified. In these 51 Chaks, the land was awarded to the people who were loyal to the British Empire and had worked for the British interests. Chak 51 became the centre of this newly established town. The map of this Chak was made by John Alam. A famous grain market was set up in the center of the Chak. Soon afterwards, Chak No. 51 was called Mandi-Bahauddin. In 1920 this name was notified. In 1924 Pindi-Bahauddin Railway station was also notified the above mentioned name. In 1937 when Mandi-Bahauddin was town, it was given the status of a town committee. In 1941, the town was given the status of a Municipal Committee. In the master plan for the reconstruction of the town, in 1923, all of the streets and roads were laid straight and wide. In 1946, nine gates and a fortification wall surrounding the whole town, belated due to riots, was completed.

The predominantly Muslim population supported Muslim League and Pakistan Movement. After the independence of Pakistan in 1947, the minority Hindus and Sikhs migrated to India while the Muslims refugees from India settled down in the Mandi Bahauddin District. In 1960, the city was given the status of Sub-Division in District Gujrat.

In 1963, the Rasul Barrage and Rasul-Qadirabad Link Canal project under the Indus Basin Irrigation Project started. The project was managed by WAPDA, and a large colony for government employees and foreign contractors was constructed 2 kilometers north of Mandi Bahauddin city. This project was completed
n 1968 by Engineer Riazur Rahman Shariff as the Project Director. This project brought Mandi Bahauddin into limelight and helped the city grow commercially.
In 1993, Mian Manzoor Ahmed Wattoo, then Chief Minister of Punjab, announced and notified Mandi Bahauddin city as the District H.Q. of the new district of Mandi Bahauddin.

The Tehsil headquarters towns of Phalia and Malikwal are 22.5 and 28.5 kilometers from Mandi Bahauddin, respectively

Report From Financial Meeting

A town meeting is a form of direct democratic rule, used primarily in portions of the United States – principally in New England – since the 17th century, in which most or all the members of a community come together to legislate policy and budgets for local government.

Read More